There are definitely times when a vehicle, even though it will still drive, should be recovered. Many times a customer will drive their vehicle to a garage to save money on a recovery bill. But at times this can cause more damage to the vehicle and therefore cost a lot more in repairs. Sine you are the operator of the vehicle you really need to rely on your knowledge of how your vehicle usually performs and your senses to decide if your vehicle is safe to drive or not. Being in tune with smells, how it performs, seeing any unusual smoke or leaking fluids under the car, or any new and loud sounds created by the vehicle, can be a good indicator of whether a vehicle needs recovering or not.
Warnings to watch, listen and look for:
- Vehicle is overheating according to the temperature gauge or sudden drop on the gauge
- Check Engine light is flashing
- Oil level or oil pressure light is illuminated
- Smoke is coming out from under the bonnet or from the exhaust
- Vehicle has a burning smell
- Smell of fuel while vehicle is either running or not
- Brakes that make a very loud grinding noise either while driving or when applied
- Rotational noise while vehicle is moving, that gets louder with increased revs or road speed
- Loud noise under the bonnet while engine is running, like knocking, whirring or screeching
- Vehicle runs poorly, misfiring, backfiring, stalling at stops, no power when accelerating
- Sudden loss of fluid like coolant, oil, power steering fluid or brake fluid, that can be seen around the vehicle
Any time that you have one of these conditions, you have a potential problem that could cause your vehicle to be unsafe to drive and could potentially break down. Continued driving could cause more damage and the vehicle should be looked at by your trusted garage before you continue. Choosing to recover the vehicle is a wise decision that could save you money, keep you safe and help to minimise damage to the vehicle and maximise the value of your vehicle. So pay attention to your vehicle and use those senses that we are equipped with and when in doubt have your vehicle recovered, better to be safe than sorry.
To schedule an appointment for service or repair please contact us.